Should You Do Commercial Landscaping On Your Own? Or Hire A Pro?
In the last few years, it seems we’ve all been given a hearty dose of the DIY attitude. And in many ways, that’s a great thing! Most people are more capable than they give themselves credit for, so it’s great to see skills improve and creativity increase.
But when it comes to commercial landscaping, you may want to consider hiring a professional from the start. You’d be surprised at the number of companies that go full bore on their own commercial landscapes. You might be more surprised to learn that sometimes it even works out okay! But oftentimes it ends in a clearly amateur attempt, requiring an excessive amount of additional time and expenses, as well as a choice to hire commercial landscaping services to fix what’s gone wrong anyway.
When you realize what is at stake for your company, it’s important to take a close look at whether or not you can do commercial landscaping on your own or should hire commercial landscaping professionals from the get-go. Let’s get into the skills, qualifications, and resources you’d need if you opt for DIY landscaping, as well as the questions you should ask a commercial landscaping company if you choose to hire a pro.
To Hire Or Not Hire A Commercial Landscaping Company
Commercial landscaping can have a big impact. Not just on the exterior atmosphere of your business, but on your budget, your property’s value, and your employees’ overall health and work productivity. Great commercial landscaping can even attract more clients and increase customer loyalty!
Clearly, the question of whether or not to hire commercial landscaping services is not one to take lightly. So what do you need to know if you want to go about landscaping for your business on your own?
If you decide to take on commercial landscaping without hiring professional landscapers, here are just a few things you’ll need to consider before you begin:
- Do you have proper permits for any work you’ll be doing? Do you know how to get them?
- Do you have the required licenses for any equipment you’ll need to operate?
- Do you have insurance that will cover any damages that may occur during the process?
- Have you studied which types of plant life will work best for your region’s climate and mapped out sunlight patterns to ensure their best chance of survival after planting on your commercial property?
- Do you know the procedures for properly planting each type of tree, shrub, or flower you’re planning to plant?
- Have you considered the amount of time and resources that will be required for this project and what it will keep you from accomplishing elsewhere in your company?
- If you plan to subcontract various parts of your commercial landscaping project out, are you prepared to manage those relationships and processes individually to ensure things are staying on budget and schedule?
- Do you have a maintenance plan in place for after your landscaping project is completed?
- Do you have the creativity, time, and energy to make the most of your commercial landscape’s potential?
That’s a lot to think about. And again, we’re not saying this can’t be done! But we don’t want you to be blindsided by the sheer amount of considerations that taking on a commercial landscape project requires.
Now, if you choose to hire commercial landscaping professionals, you can go over the list above to see what you won’t have to worry about (YAY!). But it doesn’t mean you’ll be completely off the hook during the landscaping planning, installation, or maintenance processes either. A good professional landscape company will keep you in the loop and work closely with you to keep you apprised of progress and ultimately ensure your satisfaction.
If you decide to hire an excellent commercial landscaping professional, here is what you can expect to experience:
- A lack of worry that accompanies knowing the job will be done impeccably
- The cost of employing certified professionals to do the job
- Creative expertise gained from years of experience in commercial landscaping
- The assurance that if anything goes wrong, your landscaping company will take care of it
- A go-to landscape maintenance company that knows the project from the ground up
Landscaping for your business is a big, important decision. It’s often the first impression of your company that a potential client gets, and you want the impact to be positive and effective! You want your employees to enjoy the mental and emotional health boost rendered by beautiful outdoor spaces as they come to and leave work. You want the increased property value and gorgeous commercial landscaping work associated with your business.
More often than not, achieving all those things will include hiring commercial landscapers. Trust us, the benefits will far outweigh any cost. But how do you choose the right commercial landscaping company?
10 Questions To Ask A Commercial Landscaper Before Hiring Them
Not all commercial landscaping companies are created equal. Before hiring a professional, make sure you ask these questions in order to find the right fit for your business.
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured in this state?
- What are your professional affiliations?
- Do you work with subcontractors? If so, do you guarantee their work?
- Do you have a team dedicated to customer service?
- Do you have a point of contact for each project—someone I can always reach out to with questions or concerns about my own commercial landscape project?
- How strictly do you stick to a budget?
- Can I see your portfolio of work?
- What work have you done in our area that I can see for myself?
- How open are you to collaborating with me on commercial landscaping ideas?
- Do you have a landscape maintenance team that I can use and trust?
These questions should be a natural conversation guide to hiring a professional landscaping company that will fit your budget, business style, and landscape design goals.
Big Rock Landscaping For Your Commercial Landscaping Needs
If you do choose to hire a commercial landscaper (solid choice, by the way), give Big Rock Landscaping a call today. At Big Rock, we know how commercial landscaping can affect your business and we’re here to make the most of it. We offer an extensive variety of landscaping services and can help make sure the outside of your business measures up to the services you offer inside. We have the experience, expertise, efficient processes, and professional affiliations in place to smoothly manage your project from start to finish. Not to mention, our award-winning firm is frequently recognized for our customer service, as well as for our finished products—we’re sure you’ll be more than happy with both.
Give us a call today!